(Continued From 10 Ways To Tell If Your Closet Is An Absolute Mess on my Products Page)
Right Now Is A Great Time To Get Organized!
With the holidays upon us and guests arriving just around the corner, why not get your closets organized so that you’re really efficient and stop wasting so much time shoving clothes and accessories around that you will never wear again? What will happen if you get new clothes and jewelry as gifts, where will you put them??? It’s embarrassing, frustrating, and you get exhausted just thinking about it!
If you hate to even think about where to start to get your closet organized, I’m here to help inspire you and get you motivated. After years of helping clients one-on-one, I’ve decided that getting organized can be both fun and rewarding!
Here are some of my ideas:
* Try to sort through your clothes closet at least once per year. Maybe seasonally would be even better! Don’t let it be years and years or the whole process will overwhelm you and you probably won’t do it at all.
* I sort clothes into 5 categories:
> Keep. I will wear it at least once per month in its season (meaning time of year not “season” for color analysis).
> Sell: It’s gently used, good enough that I would give it away to someone I care about, but I don’t have anyone specifically in mind for the item. (Sell on eBay, Craigslist, yard sale, church sale, etsy, etc.).
> Repurpose: Many times certain items of clothing can be transformed into use as something else; like denim into a bag, cotton into a patchwork quilt, and other creative ideas.
> Give away: Maybe a friend, family member, or neighbor. Donate to the Salvation Army, Goodwill, and other places. Most times if what you donate is sizeable, get a tax deduction.
> Unknown: This is a pile of items that at first glance, I don’t know what to do with. This pile will take more consideration.
To get motivated, let’s look at some possible rewards for sorting and organizing your clothes closet and accessories:
* Create some type of reward for yourself after the project is finished. Like movie and dinner with your spouse or your best friend, a shopping trip for items you have been wanting to buy but knew you didn’t have room for in your closet, get a massage or have a day at the spa!
* Invite your very best friends over and tell them to bring their video camera. After they’ve helped you decide what items you absolutely have to keep, on to the fun! Have a taco bar, margaritas, and your favorite upbeat music. Using the clothes you’ve decided not to keep, have a fashion show and video tape the whole thing! Whichever person comes up with the “worst” look, give them a prize! You’ll be making memories for years to come! You can rotate the theme and the party from house-to-house each year.
* The reason most people don’t ever seem to get to the chore of organizing their closet is because they’ve lost their identity. I’ve gone through this several times in my life. Events happen, our lives and family groups change, you move. Sometimes you just don’t know what image you want to project. Who is the real you? What works when you find yourself in this situation? Stop stressing out about it, this never accomplishes anything. Take some quiet time for yourself and think about who you truly are, what you see is your true self. I am a visual person. Ponder, meditate, visualize the new you that you want to introduce to the world. This can be a vitalizing experience! Here’s a good article on how to get started. Once you see the “real” you, find items that you already own that will help you bring your true identity to life.
Now, I’ve saved the best for last! I can write ideas for you all day long but for some people, seeing is believing. I have people that say, “Show me what you mean so I do it myself.” Well, I can’t possibly go to each person’s home and show them one-on-one so here is the next best thing!
If you just don’t have the money or don’t want to spend the money on a professional organizer (which usually means a few hundred bucks), the best thing I can recommend to you is to learn the secrets of the experts and then do it yourself!
I love the saying, “Knowledge is power!” because it truly is! Your closet is a reflection of lack of control in your life. Take back the power and see how freeing it is! I will show you how to get and stay organized with “The Ultimate Cure For The Dysfunctional Closet” DVD.
Here’s one of my favorite testimonials:
This is by far the best DVD on how to get a wardrobe into shape out there. Not only is it packed with fantastic tips, but JoJami is just so much fun! I use it to train all my students that go through my program!
~ Brenda York McDaniel, Founder/Owner Academy of Fashion and Image
So buy the DVD, watch it, and get moving on that closet!
To your success and empowerment,